Saturday, August 18, 2007

To be truly thankful...

A couple of years ago, I'd earned much lesser than what i earn now. Back then, I would still manage a mini shopping spree to reward myself once a month and holidays abroad. I was quite debt free and had more than enough for myself.

Fast forward to present day-  my debts are enourmous, I shop only during sale, I go for more expensive trips and inevitably, I have so much 
lesser to spend.

But money aside, we never know what and when is enough. We never know when to say
"It's ok, I'm quite happy with what I have"...most of the time, we look at others and envy their fortunes and good luck. As the famous Chinese saying goes "Yat kar ng che yat kar sze" - literally translated as one never knows what happens in another family.
It's so easy to want to be someone else, it's so easy to blame your current situation, it's so easy
not to see what you've got is so good compared to others.

Being so human, we always fall into the trap of wanting more. Though it is all fine to have a vision and not settle for status quo, 
I believe most of the time, we must also learn to be thankful for what we have. 
I would always imagine a situation if I was God (not trying to play God, excuse the pun!)
- I create beautiful things for all my children, I give them what I think it's best for them, I create
a world for them otherwise they will never have. But each and everyday, I hear them
complain and whine about all the things I had given them.
I think I would be quite pissed off if I was God. But as God is all omnipresent and overly-nice (maybe he's getting mean and pissed off these days with all the epidemics and catastrophes happening!) we are seldom punished for being utterly ungrateful.

There are times where He knocks you on your head and pushes you hard onto the ground.
There are times He raise you up and keeps you up high in the air
There are times where He smiles and laughs with you
There are times He nudges you to push on.

If only during all those times (if not every other day) we can remember to say "Thank you"...

No comments: